Pages

Saturday, November 14, 2015

The Corn Maze of DOOM - a writing prompt exercise (50th post! wOOt!)

Saturday writing prompt - courtesy of Creative Writing Prompts (and a number generated by random.org.)

Prompt #100

Write for 10 minutes using "I used to think..." as your starter.

Story

I used to think that I was normal, that my life was going to follow the standard path that the average person's follows - you know, finish secondary school, go to college or university, find a job, get married, blah, blah, blah - "normal" stuff. But now that I find myself face to snout with a Minotaur in the middle of a corn maze I've come to the realization that words like "normal", "average" and even "safe" really don't apply to me or my life in any way at all. You're probably asking yourself what's going on right? Where is this crazy corn maze? Why is there a Minotaur in the middle of it? And how did this girl get there? Yeah I'm asking myself those last two questions as I draw my sword and take a defensive stance. I don't know why the Minotaur chose to manifest in this particular corn maze in rural Ontario, but he has. As to why I'm here facing him? Purely by coincidence or accident if you believe in those sorts of things, which I don't anymore at this point. The first time this kind of thing happened, me running into a mythical monster, I had no idea what was happening, I was 6 at the time though so that was to be expected. Over the years I've learned a lot, faced a lot of monsters, myths and urban legends, things that aren't supposed to exist but do. I remember all of those times now as this stinky Minotaur, his hot breath filling the crisp October Canadian air with steam, charges at me...

Annnnnd that's where my timer went off, that did not feel like 10 minutes haha. That was fun though, I haven't done anything like that in ages. It was good practice! I think I'm going to end up really enjoying writing prompt weekends!

-- Ren

No comments:

Post a Comment